Summer Staff Hiring Information
May The Work That We Do Speak For Us
About Summer Staff
The Summer Staff has been fostering the unique, welcoming, inclusive culture found at Camp McDowell since 1923. Generations have aspired to be on staff so they can belong to this legacy and partake in changing young people's lives. The Summer Staff hiring process reflects the importance of protecting McDowell's wonderful culture.
Serving as a Camp McDowell Summer Staff member is very fun and very hard. It involves early mornings and late nights, hot days and loud groups, being a leader and being a friend. It is all about teamwork and living as a model of sacramental ministry, where outward and visible actions are a sign of an inward and spiritual grace.
If all the above characteristics of working on Summer Staff were thrown into a pot and stirred for long enough, the result would look a lot like servant leadership. The Summer staff serves campers and families, each other, and the Kingdom of God with grace, patience, and love.
Every staff member is invited and expected to participate fully in the life of the community. This includes program, worship, and afternoon and evening activities. Whatever the job, all staff positions are valued and important parts of the team. The norm is fulfilling one’s specific role…and then some. The whole staff works together, attending to the many details that make summer camp happen in the context of Christian community.
- Returning staff, CIT, or volunteers, should use your previously created login information. Email email@example.com with any log-in issues.
- Our Staff Interview Day will be January 7, 2022
- Applicants must be out of high school at least one year by May, 2022.
- Staff training begins at Camp in mid-late May. Attendance is mandatory for all staff.
- All summer staff must complete certifications in CPR and First Aid PRIOR to staff training. A list of training dates & locations will be made available to those hired.
- All staff, excluding those hired to be on work crew or in the kitchen, must be lifeguard certified before arriving at staff training.
- Camp McDowell will partially supplement the cost of certification courses.
- All staff must complete, "Safeguarding God’s Children” - a sexual misconduct prevention training - during staff training. An online course is required of all hired staff, to be completed prior to training.
- Background checks will be conducted on all hired staff.
- Drug testing may be conducted at the discretion of Camp leaders.
- Agree to live by the standards set by the staff covenant here.
CITs (counselors in training) are an invaluable component of our summer camp experience. They bring new energy, new ideas, and a helping hand to the permanent summer staff and each session. Serving as a CIT is a great way to gain valuable work experience and "try-out" being a staff member.
- CITs are welcome at Elementary, Middler, and Junior High Sessions.
- CITs must be high school graduates or a minimum of 18 years old.
- CIT applications close on April 30th.
- Selected applicants will be contacted with an offer of sessions for which they may volunteer, based on the preferences indicated in their application.
Are you familiar with Camp McDowell and enjoy the setting? Then you may enjoy serving as an adult volunteer at a Summer Camp! Some camp sessions may be appropriate for families to volunteer together. There are several opportunities for adult volunteers in all camps, including one or a combination of the following roles:
Program Staff member
Arts & Crafts leader
Skilled Support Staff (doctor, EMT, nurse, counselor, teacher, etc.)
Personal Care Assistant
Behind-the-scenes support (set up, administrative, clean-up, etc)
Prayer Partner for a Summer Staff Member
Application with references
Completion of “Safeguarding God’s Children” sexual-misconduct and abuse prevention online course
Permission to conduct a criminal background check (19 and older)
Strict adherence to all volunteer policies of Camp McDowell and The Diocese of Alabama
Attendance to meetings and or training specific to an event
A great attitude of service and sacramental leadership!